- Materials Science Forum
- Key Engineering Materials
- Solid State Phenomena
- Defect and Diffusion Forum
- Diffusion Foundations
- Applied Mechanics and Materials
- Advanced Materials Research
- Advances in Science and Technology
- Journal of Nano Research
- Journal of Biomimetics, Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering
- Journal of Biomimetics, Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering
- Journal of Metastable and Nanocrystalline Materials
- Materials Science Foundations (monograph series)
- International Journal of Engineering Research in Africa
- Advanced Engineering Forum
- Nano Hybrids
- Science-Meets-Philosophy Forum
Advanced Si-Based Ceramics and Composites
Hai-Doo Kim, Hua-Tay Lin and Michael J. Hoffmann
Proceedings of the International Symposium on New Frontier of Advanced Si-Based Ceramics and Composites (ISASC 2004), in Gyeongju, Korea, June 20-23, 2004
Significant progress has been made over the past 30 years in handling silicon-based ceramics such as silicon nitride, silicon carbide, SiAlON, silicides and composites. A better understanding of processing parameters in various forming techniques, and of microstructure-property relationships, has led to substantial improvements in thermomechanical performance and reliability; as well as in cost reduction. read more...
The book is divided into four comprehensive sections: the first chapter is devoted to industrial applications, with both new and on-going applications being introduced. The second chapter presents the various traditional and new techniques being used to process Si-based ceramics and composites. Some classical aspects of grain growth and sintering are presented, as well as relatively new approaches such as the SPS process. The third chapter covers microstructural developments in various Si-based ceramics, and particularly their effect upon mechanical performance and reliability. The fourth chapter discusses the thermo-mechanical and thermo-chemical behaviors of Si-based ceramics; with particular emphasis being placed on environmental barrier coatings.
Altogether, the book accurately summarizes the current state-of-the-art of our understanding of these materials, and covers up-to-date developments in silicon-based ceramics such as silicon nitride, silicon carbide, SiAlON, silicides, and composites. Industrial case-studies and applications are addressed with regard to the exploration of new frontiers.