- Journal of Nano Research
- International Journal of Engineering Research in Africa
- Journal of Biomimetics, Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering
- Advances in Science and Technology
- Journal of Metastable and Nanocrystalline Materials
- Journal of Biomimetics, Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering
- Defect and Diffusion Forum
- Solid State Phenomena
- Diffusion Foundations
- Materials Science Forum
- Key Engineering Materials
- Nano Hybrids
- Advanced Materials Research
- Materials Science Foundations (monograph series)
- Applied Mechanics and Materials
- Advanced Engineering Forum
- Science-Meets-Philosophy Forum
Plastic Deformation and Strain Hardening
P.O. Kettunen V.T. Kuokkala
Materials Science Foundation Vols. 16-18
This publication is based upon lectures given during a well-received course on physical metallurgy and originally intended for students specializing in fields related to metallic materials. But, as the author points out, metallic materials are the most widely investigated group of materials and their study therefore gives a good basis for understanding how other materials can be made to reveal interrelationships between their structures and properties; especially with regard to those properties associated with strain. Similar types of rule can then be applied to other materials, in spite of their apparent differences. read more...
Encouraging results of this approach have been applied, in recent decades, to ceramics, polymers, and even complicated natural composites such as wood. Strain hardening due to plastic deformation is identified by the author as being the key phenomenon, as it often makes constructions viable in spite of design errors. For this reason, strain hardening - in all of its manifestations - is taken to be the central theme. Each chapter is backed up by relevant exercises, thus making the whole a valuable and stimulating pedagogic experience.
A textbook for a physical metallurgy course on strain hardening due to plastic deformation, which from the perspective of construction design makes many constructions hold despite errors by designers in dimensioning those constructions. It is not indexed.